Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Great morning so far, made a appointment for my eye issue yesterday. Hopefully there is not too much damage.Moving right along the topic on my mind today is advocacy. I can blame some of my health issues on the medical treatment I received or lack thereof, but not everything is their fault. What  took me while to realize is that  I  had more power than I realized. The power of being my own advocate in my health care.

I strongly attribute my success in gaining control of my health care from learning to ask questions, and not being afraid to be assertive. I think most times people fail to realize that the doctors work for you, not the other way around.

When I was first diagnosed in the eighties we didn't have the Internet to supply us with information like we do now, it took some effort. My Mom spent hours in the public library, reading and researching everything she could get her hands on. I went to classes and support groups, but they didn't usually offer much information. We kept up with research and breakthroughs as much as possible. We had to advocate our interest to my doctors, and stop them from rushing us through their cattle line of care. I cannot tell you how many times we avoided tragedy and malpractice by being our own advocates, from everything to wrong doses being administered, to to shoddy medical diagnostic equipment. It is our job as patients and care givers to ask questions, ask your nurse in the hospital what your are being given. What's the dose? Who ordered it and why? You can say no if you don't recognize it or don't understand why it is being given. Most hospitals and doctors offices will provide you with information on procedures and drugs, you just have to ask. You are your own best weapon in fighting for your health care.

No comments:

Post a Comment