Monday, January 13, 2014

Morning all! Having a bit of trouble with my eyes today. I suffer from Diabetic Peripheral Retinopathy and I had a blood vessel rupture again, in a my left eye this time  (it's usually the right eye that gives me the most trouble). Blogging today is a bit of a challenge, but I feel as though I need to do it. I have come to realize it has been very cathartic for me to keep doing this blog.

The transplant wasn't the only incident health wise, to happen to me. When I was 10 years old I was diagnosed with Juvenile Diabetes.Struggling with that for many years caused a plethora of issues resulting from uncontrolled diabetes. I have : PDR, Gastropharesis, Neuropathy, Kidney Failure (resulting in the transplant), and most recently mouth cancer from the immunosuppresant drugs.  Through it all I tried to keep positive and move forward with my life despite setbacks.

Growing up this way sure wasn't fun, but I have to say to the main reason that I ended up in a downward spiral was lack of good quality medical care growing up. Not having insurance because of a preexisting condition was brutal. Limited by Medicaid as to how much you could have in medicine was stupid and dangerous. Only 1 bottle of insulin a month ( I used 2), 1 bottle of blood sugar test strips, no urine test strips,.I couldn't get approved for referrals to Endocrinologists, long clinic visits with  no result, and inexperienced staff at hospitals and clinics that didn't know how to treat a diabetic child. I was lost in the government shuffle.

Fortunately I'm no longer a diabetic, however the damage is done. My hope is that the Medicaid and Medicare can catchup with the strides in treatment. When I was younger I really would have benefited from a insulin pump to manage my disease. Medicaid didn't pay for them. Diabetic treatment has grown leaps and bounds in just a few decades.Medicare and Medicaid need to catch the hell up.


No comments:

Post a Comment