Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Happiness

I have always believed that if I wasn't sick I would be happy. If I was never a diabetic I would be happy, the truth is I gave my illness power over my happiness. I know now that was a huge mistake because ultimately diabetes controlled me not me controlling it. After my transplant I really started to understand what makes me happy and by happy what it means to truly live your life. My life was never what I would call easy but who really has a perfect life not many that is for sure. For those people that have perfect lives and are perfectly happy with their lives are rare and have figured out what truly makes them happy and motivates them. For me though, it took a while because I went through a series of blaming circumstances that I believed prevented my happiness such as diabetes, poverty, parents being divorced, in and out of hospitals etc.. Then I slowly came to realize that I could no longer let  my bad experiences determine my happiness!!

My transplant really helped me realize what was important in my life. I made a simple decision to be thankful humbled, and happy. I decided that my circumstances could no longer define me. I am not just a diabetic, I'm a person that happens to have had diabetes. what a refreshing way of thinking that was for me. to no longer let the labels we place on ourselves define us. How fortunate I am to know what truly makes me happy now. Being ALIVE MAKES ME HAPPY!! holding hands with my husband, watching the sunrise, feeling the sun on my face, or rain on my head! That makes me happy, not being controlled by limitations, but accepting the fact that my life is always changing and evolving and getting to experience these changes is a blessing not a curse. Happiness for me  is being alive, it's that simple!!

No comments:

Post a Comment