Tuesday, June 10, 2014

New Diagnosis New Possibilties

I went to a new neurologist yesterday, and got a better understanding of what has been going on with me lately. As you know from my previous post I have been falling quite a bit and I have also blacked out a few times, it has been a little scary and not knowing what was wrong made it even worse. Now armed with some more info about my condition I can begin to heal more. As it turned out I have had a severe B12 deficiency for most of my diabetic life. It has not been diagnosed til now so subsequently I have sustained severe nerve damage from this. I also have autonomic neuropathy from the diabetes as well. These two combined have been responsible for my falls and bit of the dizziness (some of my dizziness is attributed to my orthostatic blood pressure.) treatment will entail B12 injections monthly for the rest of my life. Due to the nerve damage that I have sustained I will need to use a walker or a cane permanently and wear those lovely compression socks. Some nerves may start to repair but that can takes years and as severe as mine neuropathy is that looks less likely.

Now I was a bit taken aback by this information, it was a bittersweet moment. I wanted to know what was wrong, but I wasn't thrilled with aspect of getting a shot every month and needing help in walking. But I will take my lumps and keep moving forward and become a master of jumping hurdles.

My concern now is why this has never been detected before. All the fiery hoops I have jumped through to get transplanted and the plethora of doctors I have seen over the years and no one caught this? All I can say is wow!! I'm astounded and a bit angry about this, but at this point there isn't a too much I can do about it, except take my treatment and do the best I can..

I will continue to keep my positive attitude and hoping that these injections will help with my energy levels and the fatigue I have been battling for so long. The best is yet to come and I will look forward to each new day, because that is one more day I have lived to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment